Cohabitation Advice in Manchester, Blackburn and Lancashire

Unmarried couples have very different legal rights and responsibilities to those who are married.

Many people are of the view that the longer you remain in a cohabiting relationship you become “common law man and wife”. This is not the case.

At Curtis Law Solicitors, we provide expert Family Law Solicitors to help represent those who are Cohabiting instead of entering marriage or a civil partnership.

Our Family Law Solicitors can provide advice in relation to property, capital/other assets, joint liabilities and children. 

Advice on cohabiting

Cohabitation Agreements can be entered to outline what would happen should the relationship break down – from division of assets to custody of the pet goldfish!

If you have been in a cohabiting relationship which has broken down it is important you understand your legal rights.

While Court applications can be made, the legal rights of unmarried couples differs significantly to those of married couples. This can sometimes lead to seemingly harsh division of wealth upon separation.


Contact our Family Law Solicitors

Seeing a Family Law Solicitor at Curtis Law Solicitors can be of benefit to you both emotionally and financially. This can also help save you the ordeal of long and costly court proceedings.

Please call our Family Law Team on 0800 008 7450 or you can email us at