What can my claim for Housing Disrepair include?

In addition to making a claim to have your property put back into a habitable condition, you may also be entitled to make a claim for some financial compensation.

It is important to remember that your health and wellbeing is our primary concern, therefore our main focus will be to ensure your property is put back into a habitable condition as soon as practicably possible.

With that said, our expert team will fully investigate your claim against your landlord, and if they consider you to be entitled to financial compensation, they will pursue the same vigorously on your behalf.

Your may be entitled to financial compensation wherein the problems you have experienced as a consequence of the disrepair at your property has been such so as to: 

  • Cause you and/or a member of your family personal pain, suffering and/or inconvenience; 
  • Cause damage to your personal property/belongings; 
  • Cause you to incur additional expenses; and/or 
  • Cause issues with your and/or a member of your family’s health (personal injury).


Inconvenience and/or suffering

If you haven’t been able to use your rented property in the normal way because of the disrepair that exists, you will be able to claim for the inconvenience you have encountered. 


Damage to personal property/belongings

If your personal property/belongings have been damaged as a direct consequence of the disrepair, you will be able to claim the expense of replacing or repairing these items. 

This may include, for example, the cost incurred due to damaged bedding, clothing, curtains, carpets and furniture. 


Additional expenses

If you have had to incur additional financial expense as a direct result of disrepair that exists, you will be able to claim the value of the additional expense incurred.

This may include increased heating bills as a result of failed window units or the costs of cleaning products you have purchased and used in an effort to combat the effects of the disrepair.  


Health issues (Personal Injury) 

If you or a family members health has been adversely affected as a result of the disrepair, you will be able to claim for the pain and suffering this has caused you. 

The types of health issues that tenants regularly complain of in housing disrepair matters are as follows (not exhaustive): 

  • Breathing issues (e.g. exacerbated asthma, pneumonia or other respiratory infections) caused by the presence of damp and/or mould at the Property; 
  • Skin irritation caused by the presence of mould at the Property; and
  • Adverse impact on mental health caused by the stress and inconvenience associated with the disrepair.

If any of the above resonate with you, or you have any other ailments you feel have developed and/or worsened as a result of the disrepair at your Property, you may be entitled to bring a claim for personal injury.

We are known to be one of the largest Personal Injury Solicitors in the North West, and we use that wealth of experience to best support our clients and ensure we achieve the best possible outcomes for our clients.