What is ‘Housing Disrepair’

A ‘rented’ property in need of repair (in order to be safe and suitable for occupation by a tenant), may be said to be in a state of ‘disrepair’.  

Disrepair can refer to numerous issues relating to the maintenance of the rented property. 

If you are a tenant living in a rented property (regardless of whether your landlord is a: private individual/company; housing association; or local authority/council), your landlord is required by law, to keep your property in a state of repair, which includes:

  • The structure and exterior of your property (including the: drains, gutters and any external pipes);
  • All installations in your property for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences); and
  • All installations in your property for the supply of space heating and the heating of water.

Your landlord is also required to ensure your property is fit for human habitation.

The types of issues that may be considered ‘disrepair’ are as follows (the below is not an exhaustive list): 

  • Missing and/or loose roof tiles;
  • Structural cracks (including as a result of subsidence);
  • Spalled brickwork and/or exposed brickwork with un-pointed mortar;
  • Failed (window) glazing;
  • Damaged and/or ill-fitting external doors; 
  • Damp and/or mould;
  • Faulty electrics; 
  • Gas and/or water leaks; 
  • Faulty space and/or water heating; and
  • Vermin infestations.

If you feel your property is affected by an issue of disrepair (whether or not it is listed above), which you have reported to your landlord, and which your landlord has failed to address by carrying out necessary works of repair (within a reasonable period of time of you putting them on notice of the same), then you could be eligible to bring a housing disrepair claim, and we invite you to contact our specialist housing disrepair team on 0800 008 7450 to discuss any potential claim you may have.